Saturday, March 31, 2012

Not Taken for "Granite"


Felt like blogging about a pretty cool experience I had today.

My son Luke had opening day for baseball today at the Deep Creek High School football field . 
He was hanging out with his team waiting on pictures and the parade to start. I felt the need to take a tour of the stadium since after all it is my Alma Mater. So I wandered a bit.

At the far end of the stadium there is a wall constructed with individual blocks of old granite. The main one in the middle was engraved with the words "Hornet Wall of Fame". I scanned over the approximately 75 different blocks with various names and dedications such as: Nathan T. Hardee (Deep Creek High Principle),  Deon Dyer (football star), David Cox (football coach) etc....you get the picture. Basically it's a memorial of people and organizations that have somehow donated time, effort, or money to the school.

As I continued to scan this massive wall, one old block in particular stood out and caught my attention quickly. It said "Faith Alive- The place to begin.....belong....become...." I would be lying if I said this didn't hit me in the gut! Wasn't expecting this one but here I was face to face with a block from my past.

You see I gave my life to Jesus in this church in 2004 and spent about 5 or 6 years there serving and growing. During my season there I went through a divorce, lost many friends and family due to my faith choice, and financially couldn't rub to nickels together. Did I turn my back on God during certain points in my life there? Yes! I think we all do from time to time whether we realize it or not. But I did know that something was stirring me to a purpose that we beyond my understanding and unexpectedly out of my control. I had been invaded by the Holy Spirit.

I actually entered this church one early Sunday morning after leaving a party at my house on my way to take someone home in Deep Creek. I was driving by and for reasons beyond my understanding (at that time) I felt like something was calling me inside. Before I knew it, I was sitting in the back seats of the church still half drunk and carrying a small amount of pot in my jeans pocket. I'll never forget that day. Pastor Bob was talking about what I had never heard. Jesus was in love with me and gave His life so I could live. That morning I felt dead and Lord knows I needed life and God invited me to His table to eat and receive healing.

Shortly after the message, an altar call was made and there was Allen, broken and crying at the altar laying down my reckless life. I had men praying over me who did not know me from Adam but knew I was a fresh face with a real need. I truly found a place to begin again.

As I began to change my life and allow God to work in me, I learned the value of being a servant. I would show up early at church looking for anyway to help. I would stay after and clean the chairs and floor of the left behind snotty tissues and church announcements. I was desiring to give back to God everything He gave me.

I finally  found a place to belong. I had a new family and a church home and would do anything to serve and be apart of something bigger than me.

As the years past, I had moved away from my roommates and made an effort to start surrounding myself with people that built me up and pointed me to the cross. I joined the choir, became a part of the men's ministry and even had an opportunity to facilitate a bible study or two. Not to mention I met my beautiful bride Sarah there. Nobody really knew what happened to me. All they could say is "Allen is different". Even my mother and sister who I partied with often said and I quote " We just want our old Allen back"! I will never forget my reply. "Sorry guys, he is gone and a new Allen has been born. I love you both but this is who I am now".

I had become a man of God, still a sinner but eager and now equipped to fight for my salvation and that of my daughter's.

This block of granite that I encounter this morning was to remind me that regardless of what may have happened to that wonderful church, it served a purpose in my life. Still today I have encounters with past members who say they regret ever being apart of that body and hold ample bitterness and personal unforgivness toward the acts of one man. I pray for them often!

I do believe that church (Faith Alive), whether they understand it or not, played an important role in the lives of all it's members. Sure the ending wasn't pleasant but what about the people like Allen who found a home there and learned that he's wasn't alone. People like Allen that needed a second chance in life. People like Allen that needed to learn about God's love and forgiveness. People like Allen who could come through the doors and feel like it was OK to be a sinner. People like Allen who needed a chance when the world gave up on them. That is the purpose of the today church and I will never let the sin of any man or woman to rock my faith! My faith is in God and nobody else! Period!!

I don't write this to condemn by any means!! The bible is clear on that but please understand my heart my friends......

I write this to open peoples spirit to accepting a bad experience in any church and taking away the whatever growth that is gained. The truth is, it is very likely that we are going to have bad experiences in church. All I know is that my faith became alive in that church and it and everyone who played a role in growing me will always hold a special place in my heart.


~Be Blessed~
  a

No comments:

Post a Comment